I’d first like to say I understand I’m only 20, and therefore I’m new to this whole adult thing.
With that said… Let me live my life. Thank you.
I love my mother to pieces, but sometimes she can go from caring to controlling in a heartbeat. As a college student I meet guys– some I like but most I don’t. In fact, since I’ve been in college I haven’t mentioned a guy because the one I liked needed to past a few tests and the rest didn’t exist in my world. So when she met this new gentlemen– the aforementioned male past the test– I expected her to be a bit surprised but not crazy. I got crazy.
Since she’s met him she has:
- Told him he’s not in the church and gave him a pamphlet (within an hour of meeting him)
- Expressed her dislike of him not being in the church– for two weeks now.
- Expressed that she will not attend our wedding (should he not join the church).
- Continued to discuss marriage (despite me insisting that she doesn’t).
Again I understand this may seem normal (minus the whole church thing) given that I am her baby girl, but I still get irritated by her constant worrying about my future and marriage decisions. (I mean neither of us have mentioned marriage; we just started dating in April.) So here’s how I stay calm– hopefully these methods hold up for the next 11 weeks.
- Remember I’m the daughter– not to mention the youngest daughter– and that means she’s extra worried and extra protective.
- Given that my dad’s out of the picture she’s forced to take on two roles, so she is going to get a bit rowdy to say the least.
- She cares and only wants the best for me.
- Some of what she says is good advice.
- Nodding and going with it makes it go by faster– sometimes.
- DO NOT mention him unless she does.
- Breath and count to 30 to stay calm.
- Staying busy keeps her from asking questions.
- Reassure her that I will be okay and I can handle this.
- Allow her some room to be a mother. I am still her baby girl.